Assistant Chief Industrial Appeals Judge
The Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals (BIIA) is recruiting for an Assistant Chief Industrial Appeals Judge.
Salary Range: $120,000 - $123,900, depending on qualifications. Positions assigned to the Seattle Office receive a 5% premium in addition to the base salary.
Location: The BIIA's headquarters is located in Olympia. The successful applicant may choose an official duty station at a staffed BIIA office in Olympia, Seattle, Spokane, or Yakima (subject to approval by the Chief Judge). Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of BIIA employees are currently teleworking.
Duties: Reporting to the Chief Industrial Appeals Judge, this position is one of eight Assistant Chiefs and a member of the agency's Extended Management Team. Primary responsibilities:
- Supervise at least six Industrial Appeals Judges. Lead, coach and mentor staff for high-level performance and personal growth. Evaluate judicial performance and determine and impose appropriate disciplinary or corrective action in consultation with the Chief Judge. Assist in the interview and hiring process for new staff.
- Provide coverage for hearings, mediation, and review. Review the timeliness and accuracy of written orders, the proper conduct of quasi-judicial hearings, and the proper interpretation of the laws under which proceedings are conducted. Review Orders on Agreement of Parties and Dismiss Orders for legal sufficiency, and rule on and issue orders on interlocutory appeals. Timely issue legally correct orders on cases assigned.
- Directly contribute to and support the agency's mission, vision and goals. As a member of the Extended Management Team, actively participate in development and implementation of the agency's strategic plan. Implement agency-wide initiatives as assigned.
- Serve as a member of the Dispute Resolution management group and participate in tactical and strategic management decisions impacting the Dispute Resolution division.
- Develop policies for program area through active participation with Extended Management Team and division management group. Implement and apply policy in areas of program responsibility and in performance of supervisory duties.
- Actively work on internal committees and special assignments to achieve agency improvements and fulfill agency strategic goals.
- Juris Doctor
- Active or judicial membership in the Washington State Bar Association
- Ability to travel throughout Washington State
- Five years' experience practicing law in Washington state with an emphasis in workers' compensation law, WISHA, or other areas of law covered by the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals
- · Experience as a hearings, mediation, and review judge with the BIIA
- · Demonstrated excellence performing work to fulfill the BIIA's mission
- · Experience in public sector management
- · Supervisory experience
- · Mentoring experience
- · Experience showing excellent teamwork
- · Strong legal skills and experience
- · Strong leadership skills and experience
- · Strong interpersonal skills and experience
- · Adaptability
- · Public speaking or teaching skills and experience
To Apply: You may view the job announcement and apply online at www.biia.wa.gov/jobs.html.
Closing Date: 12/21/22
Please contact Christy Sterling, HR Manager, at Christy.email@example.com or 360-753-6823, ext. 1123 if you have any questions.